Female sex work in San Jose, Costa Rica: a sociobiology approach

 

Authors
Mónge-Nájera, Julián; Rojas Campos, Rosberly; Morales Bonilla, Roxana; Ramírez Sánchez, Iris Amalia
Format
Article
Status
publishedVersion
Description

Female sex work in San Jose, Costa Rica: a sociobiology approach. In Costa Rica, sex work has been studied for decades from a pre-evo- lutionary perspective, and often with an underlying patriarchal bias because sex work is seen as a social pathology, ignoring contributions from sociobiology and evolutionary psychology. In this study, we measured the performance of predictions made by the evolutionary model, in a sample of 78 women aged 18 to 81 years, who perform sex work in San José, capitol of Costa Rica, interviewed in 2008. The interviews were based on a questionnaire, respondents were paid for their time, and data were analyzed with the SPSS statistical program. All predictions of the evolutionary; model are met by this sample: the customers are mostly men in reproductive age (29 to 54 years) who pay women for sexual activity even in cases in which they establish an emotional relationship with the workers. The predictions of the model for workers are also met, since they are primarily women of reproductive age (24 to 41 years), 100% charge for their services, and women who are more attractive for their beauty, intellect and education, earn 10 times more than the rest. In the human species, resources can be given in exchange for sexual services, and 98% of these sex workers are women who have no other source of income; besides, 69% have no partner helping them to support their children. The other 31% have a partner but do not receive enough money from him.KEY WORDSEvolution of human sexual behavior, sex work, Costa Rica, sociobiology, evolutionary psychology, prostitution, sex for resources, patriarchy.
En Costa Rica, el trabajo sexual femenino ha sido estudiado durante décadas según una visión pre-evolucionista y a menudo, subyacentemente patriarcal pues el trabajo sexual es visto como una patología social, ignorando todos los avances hechos en este campo por la sociobiología y al sicología evolutiva. En este estudio, medimos el cumplimiento de las predicciones del modelo evolucionista con base en 78 mujeres que realizan trabajo sexual en la ciudad de San José, capital de Costa Rica, entrevistadas en 2008, con edades entre 18 y 81 años. Las entrevistas se hicieron con base en un cuestionario, se pagó a las entrevistadas su tiempo y los datos se analizaron con el programa estadístico SPSS. Todas las predicciones del modelo evolutivo se cumplen en esta población: los clientes son predominantemente hombres en edad reproductiva (29 a 54 años) que pagan a las mujeres por su actividad sexual incluso en los casos en que establecen una relación sentimental con las trabajadoras. Las predicciones del modelo sobre las trabajadoras también se cumplen, pues son primordialmente mujeres en edad reproductiva (24 a 41 años), el 100% cobran por sus servicios y las mujeres más atractivas por su belleza, intelecto y educación ganan hasta 10 veces más que el resto. Debido a que en la especie humana se da intercambio de recursos por servicios sexuales, el 98% de las trabajadoras sexuales son mujeres que carecen de otra fuente de trabajo y el 69% no tienen pareja que provea dinero para el sostenimiento de los hijos. El otro 31% tiene pareja pero no recibe suficiente dinero de él.

Publication Year
2009
Language
Español
Topic
Evolución del comportamiento sexual humano, trabajo sexual, Costa Rica, sociobiología, sicología evolutiva, prostitución, recursos por servicios sexuales, patriarcado.
Fuente
Portal de Revistas UNED
Get full text
https://investiga.uned.ac.cr/revistas/index.php/cuadernos/article/view/232
Derechos
openAccess
Licencia